Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Resting weight

A friend of mine recently joined Weight Watchers. "Because it works." She said that she lost a lot of weight the first two weeks and then- nothing. She was disappointed. I explained to her the concept of resting weight. Once your body reaches a certain plateau, it stops to rest. It says, okay, we've gone far enough, let's stop now. And in order to get it moving again, you have to double your efforts.

Most people's body weight fluctuates constantly, depending on many factors. There is usually a certain number that the weight will return to, because that is what your body knows. In order to lose weight and keep it off, one must reprogram their body to know a different number. As with everything in life, it is hard work.

Life happens. Sometimes it is great. Sometimes it goes exactly according to our plan. And then it slows down. It lags, kind of drags its feet and says, na, I don't feel like going steady anymore. Let's take a break.

How much effort do you put into your life to ensure that you are always going up? Resting is not good. It is stagnant. No one wants to live their life that way. If you are not going up, generally you are going down. When you say, I'll just take a short break and try again when I'm ready, we come to realize that there are no breaks in life. Either you live it, or it just happens to you.

I take the local subway to work, because the express train doesn't stop at the stop where I get off. But going home I can take the local and switch to the express train at another stop which would make the ride shorter. One time, I was sitting on the local train, totally exhausted, when the express train stopped right across the platform. Some people ran to catch it. In the few seconds I could have got up to switch I thought, I'm so tired, and what's a few extra stops on the local train. So I get home a little later, so what?

What if that were a major opportunity in life calling? What if that were my dream job and all I had to do was run to get it?

Sometimes your life slows down. It is not so exciting, because nothing exciting is happening to you. Does that mean you will just let it happen? Or will you decide what you want out of life, and make it happen?

You can rest for a bit. But remember that you are the boss, and if you want it, you have to work hard for it. No one ever got anything good in life without hard work. And if they told you thy did- usually they are lying. Or it's a scam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THINK before you utter your thoughts.