Friday, May 25, 2012
No cheesecake for you
I didn't make any cheesecake this year. I have been making the same no bake triangular cheesecake every year since I was 12. Last year I tried 2 new ones. They were pretty good. Except my sister the 'professional chef' tried to upstage me.
But this year I went away for Shavuos, and was unable to make cheesecake. I watched someone else make a cheesecake. I will willingly try the batter, and I look forward to eating cheesecake.
But there is something about the process of toiling over a mixing bowl, putting physical energy into the making of the cheesecake that you don't get just by eating it. It tastes better from your own efforts.
I am not looking forward to a 3 days Yom Tov. I am spending it with friends, and it is sure to be a great time. I have books to read. But there is something about not using my phone or internet for 3 days that has me thinking I will go stir crazy. (InternetAholics Anonymous, anyone?)
What is this holiday about? I haven't been counting sefirah. It may feel more special if I was finishing the counting along with everyone else. It is not about cheesecake. It is not about sleep deprivation.
Remember Mount Sinai. That is what it is about. Remember. G-d gave us the Torah. Remember. We accepted it wholeheartedly. Remember. We promised 'Naaseh Venishma', we will do and we will hear. Remember. We crowned Hashem as our one and only king. Remember. You were there. I was there. We were all there. 6 million Jews strong.
We are still here. We will never leave. We will never be destroyed. When you stay up the whole night on Shavuos learning, remember what we are here for, why we are still here. Because we have a mission, to bring Moshiach. And we are not finished yet.
Enjoy your cheesecake. Enjoy your holiday. Enjoy your family time, your time to relax, your time away from technology, your time to disconnect and reconnect to what matters.
Remember Mount Sinai. Never forget.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's funny, I usually don't eat/enjoy eating what I make (more than anything else). I tasted it while cooking so I don't need to eat it again...
ReplyDelete