Monday, January 3, 2011

YOU

I think of you when I'm happy,
and I think of you when I'm sad.
I think of you when I'm lonely,
and I think of you when I'm mad.

I wonder where you are now,
and if you think of me.
I yearn to be together with you,
and start a family.

You are elusive,
I don't yet know who you are.
I wonder when that day will come,
it seems so very far.

I practice what I will say to you,
and how our meeting will be.
I make up a story in my head,
a fairytale so rosy.

Will we meet on a train, or a plane,
or in the grocery store?
Will it be on a date, or fate,
that will make you hold open the door?

Will I know you when I see you,
or will it take some time?
Will I reject you for someone better,
or mistake you for a mime?

I guess I can ask you all this
when you show up in my life.
But I don't know when, or where,
I will become your loving wife.

So meanwhile I wait for you,
but not to worry, I'm not bored.
I have to go make dinner,
I'm off to the grocery store.

I will wait in aisle seven,
come find me if you please.
'tis rather cold here,
I do not wish to freeze.

What G-d has in store, we can never know.
But when the clock ticks eight,
and you are late,
how long must I wait?

13 comments:

  1. Really profound. Like it a lot.
    btw in the second to last paragraph "isle" is spelled wrong. It should be aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps she meant the 7th isle in an island chain?

    Altie, is the thought of getting married all-consumming for girls your age with your upbringing? I'm curious, as it ties in to my last comment in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps. But based on the fact that she just said that she is "off to the grocery shop", I assume that she is referring to an aisle in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prof- thanks, I did mean to say aisle. But thanks ES for backing me up.

    I don't know what girls my age think or feel. These are my personal thoughts. Don't blame my desire to get married on my religion or upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't BLAME. I asked you a question. And I think it's fair to say that to a certain level, the desire to get married young is INDEED instilled upon girls like you by your religious background. I think denying that is indefensible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because we run in different circles it is my religious background as opposed to yours? How old was your wife when you got married?

    You say, why get married young. I say, why not? What can you do single that you can't do when you're married? Why get married at 30, just because you want to 'see the world' or have a career?

    Even in the secular world, where it is encouraged to remain single and go to college and have a career and get married later in life and have two kids- some of them regret waiting. By them, it is surprising when people marry young. By us, it is the opposite.

    Why do you ask the question? Because you are looking for an answer, or because you want to voice your disapproval?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a better question: Why do you get so defensive about the question? Why, also, do you make assumptions about the questions I ask? I wonder about your own lack of security in your feelings on the subject. But again, not a conversation for here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a conversation for anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL - too sensitive and unable to hear criticism of any kind - doesn't spell success for an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not criticism of any kind- only the unnecessary kind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch! ES, who determines what's 'young' to get married? Methinks you doth protest too much.

    Altie, this is really - for lack of a better word 'cute'. When the time comes you frame this, k? :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) now that you mentioned it, I shall.

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.