Sometimes it is hard to remember. I forget the little details, I forget the special times. Everything fades and blurs into each other, until I am afraid that I will forget my own childhood.
The oddest things stick with me. I remember when I was in first grade and my teacher was telling a scary story. She grabbed me to use me as a prop, when suddenly my tooth fell out.
My earliest memory is when I was three years old. I remember my old house in Massachusetts, but vaguely. I remember a garage sale, my uncle coming to visit, and a case of chocolate syrup. Sometimes I wonder if I made up these memories, maybe from stories my mother told me. But I know in a certain part of my brain, there are memories that are there but I can't remember them. And that scares me.
We take pictures to remember. We want to remember the fun times we had. I can only imagine having amnesia and not being able to remember who you are, or recognize the people closest to you.
It is a scary thing to forget. My mother told me a story of something I did when I was little, but I don't remember it. I don't remember how I celebrated my ninth birthday. I don't remember when my little brother was born. Sometimes I wish that I could record my whole life, so I will never forget anything.
And then I remember. I remember the things I try so hard to forget. I remember the people I wish I never met. I remember being scared, I remember being hurt, I remember situations I wish I was never in. and it is then that it hits me; the power of memory. G-d gave us memory so we could remember, but also the ability to forget. Sometimes, it is okay to forget. Sometimes we forget because we don't want to remember.
I remember the things that matter. And yes, I forget. It is hard to forget. It is hard to search your memory for something that you know must be in there, but you can't find it. It is like looking for something that is lost. I wonder if it is lost forever, or if it is in there somewhere, waiting for the right time to pop up, waiting until I need a reminder of a time long gone. And then it will surface.
Sometimes I worry that I will forget my childhood. Sometimes I worry that I will forget everything I ever learned. I worry about being old and having no memory at all.
But then I remember that I will never forget me. I will never forget who I am. I will never forget the people and the times that mattered the most. I am reassured because I know that there is a hidden part of me, the part that remembers how to walk every day, to eat and sleep and drink and talk, I know that part will never forget.
Being able to forget is a bracha at times. It allows us to heal, it allows us to move us past the pain..
ReplyDelete:) somehow you manage to read my posts just when they are hot off the press.
ReplyDeleteYou are right. I am glad we can forget things.
It is funny that you wrote this now. This week I had a sort of family reunion. In one of the conversations, it came up how when you are a little kid, (little kid meaning until 15-16) you remember pretty much every detail of everything that happened / happens to you. Once you hit 18-19 suddenly you don't "record" all these little events which you suddenly deem insignificant.
ReplyDeleteOh is that why? We forget cuz we dimply don't care anymore.
ReplyDeleteI think that is both that we stop caring, and that as you get older, there is just so much more happening in ur life, that thing that u previously would have deemed important and worth keeping, suddenly fall to the side.
ReplyDeleteThat is true. What about our current life? Will we remember that in 20 years?
ReplyDeleteAlthough I have yet to reach the "in twenty years", this is what I think:
ReplyDeletePeople always say that the teenage years and the early twenties are "when you are made". So although there will be things which may seem like they were forgotten, in truth they weren't. They are you.
altie- what can i say..im just a really devoted follower...:p
ReplyDeleteWhat does that mean, that now we are made? Figure out who we are, where we are going in life? Like that?
ReplyDelete:) Thanks dear.
They are the years when you both figure out who you are, and when you "shape yourself". The way you are in those years is generally who you become. (Obviously people mature so some things will change, but the basic idea of who you are stays the same. Nevertheless, there are always exceptions to the rule).
ReplyDelete'Tis the thing I'm having the most trouble with at the moment.
ReplyDeleteDon't we all :)
ReplyDeleteThat is why a good mashpia is so important, cuz they help you shape yourself properly at such a important time in your life.
I'm not really sure I want a mashpia shaping me. I'd rather shape myself with a big of guidance.
ReplyDeleteEither way mashpia is a whole other topic for another time.
Thats is what they are for, to guide you. Even a Rebbe isnt meant to completely "shape you". There is the famous story that a chasid came to one of the Chabad Rabbiem (I think it was the Tzemach Tzedek), and asked for a bracha that his son should be a chasid. The Rebbe answered something to the point of to be a chassid you have to work on it yourself and it isnt something for a rebbe to give automatically.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that true of ANY bracha from a rebbe? Nothing comes that easily. People spend their time and money asking rebbeim for brachos to fix their problems. It doesn't work that way. YOU need to fix your problems - through your own hard work.
ReplyDeleteAltie - whether or not you remember instances from your past, rest assured they are remembered by your body/mind in terms of shaping who you eventualy become. We are nothing other than the by-products of what our experiences are and how we use those experiences to make decisions going forward.
Hey, welcome back! Long time no post!
ReplyDeleteYes, it is true of any bracha. The one of the main concepts of chassidus chabad is that the chassid does the work himself, not the rebbe doing it for him.
ES- in that vein, I find the concept of influence interesting. If I am influenced by my surroundings and the people I meet, then am I by extension a product of my surroundings? Am I really me, or am I a little part of everyone I meet? Do I really have an opinion, or is my opinion merely made up of every person I ever had a conversation with and everything I ever read? How do you acquire knowledge and claim it as your own?
ReplyDeleteI understand about a Rebbe. I don't expect anyone to do it for me. I know I have to do the work. I just have not gotten around to it yet.
another gem.
ReplyDeleteAltie - of COURSE it's you - every decision you make is your own. Every feeling you have is yours. The question is WHY do you make those decisions? Why does a person who had parents who never gave them any confidence lack confidence while the chuild whose parents always built them up have an abundance? Why does the person who was in a house fire fear flames? We are a product of our experiences - but every individual takes those experiences and shapes them. If I have a decent sense of humor, but I've never been exposed to funny people, I'm probably not going to be very funny. However if I have the "gift", and I have funny friends, chances are i am going to synthesize that into a development of my own sense of humor.
ReplyDeleteThese are but a few of THOUSANDS, nay millions, of examples of thigs which shape who we are and what we do. No one grows up in a vacuum and no one can grow WITHOUT the benefit of their experiences - it's impossile.
The only question is what did you learn from them?
BTW - if every decision wasn't your own, then you'd simply have an excuse why things didn't turn out the way you wanted. That's never the case.
ReplyDeleteSo no excuses, and learn something from every person and experience. Got it.
ReplyDeleteFeivel- if you are referring to the post, thanks.
was referring to the post. welx.
ReplyDeletewell, I dimply do care
ReplyDeleteWhat does 'dimply do' mean?
ReplyDeleteYou used it first
ReplyDeletelol just saw it. Thanks for pointing it out.
ReplyDelete