There is a reason many people become actors. Acting is putting on a mask. Even in ones own life one may have many masks. Sometimes it is easier pretending you are someone else, then being confident in the real you.
I don't like when people put on an act in regards to friendship. A fake friendship is no friendship at all. Rather treat me like a stranger and ignore me than pretend that you are happy to see me. But there are other areas of life where acting can be beneficial.
Suppose you are like me and you have a hard time making decisions. This can have a negative effect on your life if you are constantly stalling because you can't decide what to do, or it takes you forever to make that final leap. It helps to take yourself out of the situation. Just for a moment, I imagine that I am not Altie struggling to make a decision that I can't decide about. Instead, I am hypothetically someone else. Hypothetically, this is a good choice and I would benefit from it. Hypothetically, I will be happy with my decision. Hypothetically, I already know what I will decide.
So in that moment I reply with the affirmative, and the decision has been made. Of course it was me making the decision, but for a second I stopped thinking like I normally do, and acted as if I never had trouble making decisions my whole life, and in that second I was confident and sure of what I chose.
Sometimes that is all a person needs. To step outside of ones life, look at it as if from an observers perspective and say, if I weren't me with all my downfalls and negative characteristics and the usual things that hold me back from being the perfect me, what would I do?
Hopefully the hypothetical me will one day become the real me.
the person who you really truly want to be..that is the person who you are. There may be obstacles along the way and factors that seem to limit you but overcoming those factors brings you to a much stronger place.
ReplyDeleteHey, what happened to the GPS post? Someone on my blog who read my follow up to ur post, and commented that she followed the link to ur blog in hope of reading the original, and she cant find it!
ReplyDeleteone's.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you are in the process of becoming that person - you don't become the person you are until some point in your lower 30's. Agres 18-whenever is when you form the person Altie will eventually be. It's when all those childhood life experiences that you are so worried you have forgotten start to mold into a complete person. It's when the 18-whenever you starts to actually MAKE important life decisions and learns from them. Of COURSE you, as a person in their lower 20's (i think), haven't gotten it all together yet. You won't for another decade. Don't sweat it, everyone's the same.