This is a cute video. I commend the YU boys on their originality. I believe this video was aired on the news, and I can only imagine what a positive impact it has had, and how many Jews it has reached.
I do however want to point out a few things. This tune is from a popular non-Jewish song that is currently being played on the radio. As such, it is not appropriate for frum children to listen to. It is similar to how Matisyahu said his music was not meant for frum boys, but as an outreach to non religious Jews who know nothing about yidishkeit.
Personally, I hate hypocrisy. What you want to do in your own life, for your own family, that is fine. But don't be hypocritical about it. Don't preach about how non Jewish music is bad for the soul, how it is all tuma, klipa dekedusha, etc. etc., and then listen to so called "Jewish" music, which is nothing but a watered down version of the non Jewish music these days. I cannot tell you how many Jewish singers take a non Jewish song and put holy words to it and call it Jewish. And this is what you want your kids to listen to? I say, you might as well listen to the real thing.
Someone enlightened me to the fact that there is no such thing as "Jewish" music, that there is no source for what I was taught in school, that music effects the soul, and non Jewish music, specifically classical music, is associated with bad sources, therefore we shouldn't be listening to it.
At this point, I don't know what is or isn't true regarding music, I just want to make it clear that as much as you try to block out the 'goyish velt', here it is seeping straight into your home with the chrap called "Jewish Music."Maybe we should only listen to nuggunim. But then again, who is to say even that comes from a good source?
Whatever you do, don't be a hypocrite about it.
Enjoy the video.
I do however want to point out a few things. This tune is from a popular non-Jewish song that is currently being played on the radio. As such, it is not appropriate for frum children to listen to. It is similar to how Matisyahu said his music was not meant for frum boys, but as an outreach to non religious Jews who know nothing about yidishkeit.
Personally, I hate hypocrisy. What you want to do in your own life, for your own family, that is fine. But don't be hypocritical about it. Don't preach about how non Jewish music is bad for the soul, how it is all tuma, klipa dekedusha, etc. etc., and then listen to so called "Jewish" music, which is nothing but a watered down version of the non Jewish music these days. I cannot tell you how many Jewish singers take a non Jewish song and put holy words to it and call it Jewish. And this is what you want your kids to listen to? I say, you might as well listen to the real thing.
Someone enlightened me to the fact that there is no such thing as "Jewish" music, that there is no source for what I was taught in school, that music effects the soul, and non Jewish music, specifically classical music, is associated with bad sources, therefore we shouldn't be listening to it.
At this point, I don't know what is or isn't true regarding music, I just want to make it clear that as much as you try to block out the 'goyish velt', here it is seeping straight into your home with the chrap called "Jewish Music."Maybe we should only listen to nuggunim. But then again, who is to say even that comes from a good source?
Whatever you do, don't be a hypocrite about it.
Enjoy the video.
i think I was shown a letter or a sicha at some point of the Rebbe's that spoke of the spiritual influence music can have on an individual.
ReplyDeleteAt least as a musician, I can personally say that music can have a huge, engraving influence - and I mean a single piece of music.
But Ikh veis - Maybe theres some other musicians in the frum world who know more about this :]
We did, however, transform the Napoleonic March that the Alter Rebbe took up once Napoleon was defeated, and the Rebbe spoke about how it was the AR's ability to do that at that moment.
In the Yeshiva University world, listening to non-Jewish music is not considered taboo. Therefore, there is no Hypocracy at all in their taking of non-jewish music. Perhaps the same thing cannot be said for Mordechai Ben David, who bl;atantly ripped off a German pop group for Yidden - but that's a comment for another time.
ReplyDeleteTRP- yes, but maybe a Rebbe has a power that us simple folk don't have. That doesn't mean any person can take a non Jewish tune and transform it.
ReplyDeleteES- you are right, I didn't mean them when I spoke of hypocrisy.
I don't have anything specific against non-Jewish music - actually I enjoy it. I do, however, have a problem with most of the non-Jewish lyrics. Hence I'm all for (well-done) "parodies" that take the music I like and set "kosher" lyrics to it. And I don't consider that hypocritical at all.
ReplyDelete"Someone enlightened me to the fact that there is no such thing as "Jewish" music, that there is no source for what I was taught in school, that music effects the soul, and non Jewish music, specifically classical music, is associated with bad sources, therefore we shouldn't be listening to it."
ReplyDeleteHe must be a real scholar, to know kol haTorah kulah to the point that he knows what is NOT written--or, more likely he is just extrapolating from his personal ignorance.
On a related note, see here.
ReplyDeletechenyok- this guy knows what he is talking about. He is really smart. But that is not the point.
ReplyDeleteMiriam- I guess kosher is better than what is currently out there.
Thanks, Yehoishophot, that pretty much sums up what I was going to say except Altie dearest, who was that person you learnt the point contested above from because I would dearly love to call them up and have a nice shpatzir.
ReplyDeletelol i dont know what 'shpatzir' means but i can imagine. sorry sweetie, i dont give out names.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure a good chunk of the neggunim out there are German beer songs lol.
ReplyDeleteA) you don't know that
ReplyDeleteB) a song that a holy person, such as a Rebbe elevated is now spiritual. I don't think the macabeats have the capacity to elevate a song to kedusha.
But that's just my opinion.