Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Defeat

You fall
get back up
brush yourself off and move on.

You fall again
get back up, again
and move on.

But how many times
can you stand up
after taking such a hard fall?

How many times
can you move on
when you have no fight left at all?

You freeze
paralyzed with fear
can't move an inch

Not backwards
or forwards
just stare blankly into space.

Lost your diamond ring
in the mud
but too tired to search

Too tired to think
to do
to move.

Worth the effort
or worthless?
That is the question.

But how many times
will you find yourself
in this same situation

And how many times
will you make the same decision
and do nothing at all.

Do you have faith?
Do you believe in miracles?
Still, you need to make the effort.

But what if
after all this time
you have no fight left in you?

So I stand here
looking at the mud
and what was lost.

I can't bend down to pick it up.
I can't think.
I can't do anything but stand here.

Defeated.

8 comments:

  1. food for thought.

    sort of reminds me of matisyahu's song two child one drop

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how many times
    will you make the same decision
    and do nothing at all.

    Most interesting - and telling line - in the poem. Are you too tired? Too beaten down? Or is it simply indecisinand inertia that kills ur protagonist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what it is. I wrote it in the spur of the moment.

    It is a defeatist attitude, that if I can't win, then why bother trying? I might as well give up now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not indecision, though that may be a contributing factor. No, it is merely the act of giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well..taking a break gives you energy to resume the fight tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. True. But what if you don't feel like fighting anymore? What happens when you really give up and can't do it anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take some time out and learn a little, get some pep...or just write a really stormy blog post. Thunder and lightning a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i do love stormy blog posts. i write the best posts when i am depressed. but somehow pep sounds better.

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.