It is so interesting how Google changes their image to fit the holiday, or whatever special day it happens to be. It is also very educational. Every time I go to Google I wonder what image will it be today.
Google told me that today is the 55th anniversary of the day that Rosa Parks, an African American woman, refused to get off the bus and give up her seat to a white person. I remember learning about it in history, and how it was told was that she wasn't trying to do anything brave, she was simply tired and didn't feel like standing up. But respect to her.
And what is the image that google uses to display this? A school bus in the background, and little black children and white children running hand in hand. Alas, Martin Luther King Jr. prophecised that this day would come.
I stop and think about it for a minute. Would I defend myself the same way Rosa Parks did? It takes a strong person not to back down in the face of adversity, and to fight their enemies head on.
Here's to world peace, and harmony amongst our neighbors.
Wow. It's true. It takes a lot of courage to stand up and go against the tide.
ReplyDeleteMay we each find the inner strength to stand up for what we know is right!
http://www.socialstudies.com/c/@10ybJGBs6We9k/Pages/article.html?article@rosaparks
ReplyDeletehttp://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/10/28/the_mythology_of_rosa_parks/
check out these two links, and I'm sure you can find others.
Rosa Parks was not a tired, old woman, just wanting to sit down after a hard day of work.
She worked as one of the heads of the civil liberties groups. She was well aware of the effects of refusing to move to the back of the bus. Others had done so before, but they needed someone who would be able to be in the public eye as a figurehead.
As for MLK jr who you mentioned, here's his stance on American Patriotism:
He believed "our nation was born in genocide," and claimed that the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were meaningless for blacks because they were written by slave owners.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/825242/posts
Didn't teach that in school, did they?
Thanks for the enlightenment. T'was so long ago when I learnt it, but you are probably right. I was not aware of those interesting facts.
ReplyDeleteYour Headlights piece was better than this one.
ReplyDeleteA lot of my other pieces were better than this one. You expect me to be awesome all the time?
ReplyDeletepossibly
ReplyDelete:)
ReplyDeleteWell I'm glad you enjoyed my last post.
You're getting more worldly, I always knew it would happen :P very off topic, but did you play the pacman game on google on the day it was pacman's birthday? Twas pretty neat. What's also pretty neat is seeing this post again after reading it in Facebook :)
ReplyDeletelol i never claim to be worldly. for shame.
ReplyDeletei never saw the pacman one. nice, i used to love pacman. the music was good too.