Monday, December 13, 2010

The man who had no ears

Once there was a man who lost his ears. He was walking along, when suddenly he fell into an open pothole. As he fell through the hole, both his ears were sliced off his head. Luckily, he was alive, but now he looked very different.

He sued the city and won a settlement of a few million dollars. But what good was the money if his face was deformed?

It came time for him to date and take a wife. He was self conscious about not having any ears, and he wanted to marry someone who would look beyond that. On every date, he asked the girl, "what was the first thing you noticed about me?", ad if she said his ears, he would turn her down.

There was one girl he met whom he really liked, and after a few dates he decided to pop the question. "What was the first thing you noticed about me?" he asked her. She responded, "you wear contact lenses." He was pleasantly surprised and said, yes I wear lenses, but how did you notice that?

"Well, I figured you couldn't wear glasses because you have no ears".

(Here it is appropriate to laugh.)

Now I am going to analyze this story:

1) How could he slice off both ears while falling straight through a hole? If the hole was wide enough for his body to fall through, then it was not tight enough to cut off both ears at the same time.

2) If he won a few million dollars, why didn't he get reconstructive surgery, or better yet, an ear transplant? Then maybe he would look normal and not care what people thought of him.

3) If the last girl did in fact notice that he had no ears, did he marry her anyway?

4) Why would somebody make up a joke like this?

5) What lesson can we learn from this story? Look where you are going? Don't judge people just because they have no ears? Look beyond the physical imperfections?

I'll leave you with these points to ponder.

9 comments:

  1. 3) No one except a blind person was going to NOT notice the ears. The point I took from this was that she just noticed it in passing as it related to the rest of him -- he had no ears the way others have brown hair. It didn't "stick out" at her, making her (potentially) worthy of marrying.

    The rest of the sticky details were just a way to produce the man with no ears for the purpose of the joke. Saying he was born with no ears would have worked as well, but been less funny somehow. (And I don't think they do ear transplants -- a girl I know who was actually born without part of her ear has had many surgeries to try to reconstruct it. With no actual ear to start from, reconstructive surgery would be extremely difficult.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, you have a point.

    Maybe they got married and lived happily ever after and now have 10 kids running around. Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why can't it simply be explained away as a bad joke?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!
    it is an awesome joke when told right. When I was first told it, I thought it was a true story and was somewhat traumatized. And anyway, no one said he marries the last girl. She was just a smarter girl than the rest of the silly girls he dated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. Ok maybe I didn't hear it right.

    According yo you, he married her and lives in Yerushalayim and has 10 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed. Can I get a cookie now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) sure. give me an address. i promise to send them fresh, but i dont guarantee they will be fresh when they get there.

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.