Saturday, November 24, 2012

Your lips are moving but all I hear is...

Bla bla bla.

Were you ever in an argument with someone and they just wouldn't stop talking? Everything they say is a lie, and they keep putting words in your mouth and telling you what you are thinking and feeling. And all you want to do is tell them to shut up, or better, shove your fist in their face...

Some people just love to have the last word, and they will take it no matter what. Even if it means sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "lalala I can't hear you!".

I call that immaturity. What is wrong with settling an argument peacefully and civilly? Agree to disagree. Difference of opinions. Hear the other person out, maybe tell them you think they are wrong, then shake on it and go your separate ways.

My mother always told me to walk away from a fight. I didn't like that. I always wanted to stay and fight, stand my ground, prove my point. I wanted to win.

But sometimes really winning means letting it go. If the other person wants to feel big, let them. Even if you know that they trampled you to get there.

Sometimes in a fight, there is no end. Maybe a stalemate. Sometimes the two people in a fight honestly cannot work things out. Their differences get in the way, their temperaments clash, they dislike each other to a point where no matter what is said they will both leave feeling annoyed and misunderstood. 

In that case, the best thing to do is just stop talking. Let it go. Cool off. Forget about them. No need to stress over someone that is not worth it.

Because no matter how hard you try to make them understand, they will merely sneer and say something to belittle you, because in order to feel like the bigger person they need to make you feel small.

My mom told me to walk away, and this time I think she is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THINK before you utter your thoughts.