Friday, June 4, 2010

Memories

Here's the thing about memories- they change depending on how you feel. When you are sad your memories will have a sad tint to them. And the same when you are happy. Your memories of things and places reflects your mood.

Just like smell, music is strongly associated with memories. If something memorable happened while you were listening to a particular song, every time you hear that song you will feel the same emotions you felt then. Happy, or sad.

For me, even happy memories of a good time and place with people I like being around, are just a bit sad. It is sad because I know it will never happen again, and that it is over. That's why sometimes it is hard for me to remember. Then I end up missing the experience and wishing I could relive it. And wishing that I could go back and redo it, and take advantage and make it ten times greater.

Last summer I had an awesome time in California with my friends. I was recently listening to a song that I listened to all the time last summer and it brought it all back. And here's the funny thing- I can't remember anything negative. I mean, there was negative stuff, as there are many times, and it's not like I blocked it out. But when I remember it, I'm not mad or upset anymore. It's more of a, 'I remember when that happened. Awww can't believe I did that.' But all the good times overpower everything else.

I wanna make new memories. I wanna be able to say ten years down the line, 'remember when we did that, or went there, or acted crazy?' It's harder now, not being in seminary or with my friends all the time. Now when we want to get together we have to make an effort. A text or a phone call or a walk. It's not the same as living with girls for a year, or spending a summer with them, laughing and bickering and smiling and crying and going through everything together with the people you care about. But then again, who ever said friendship was supposed to be easy?

Here's to a life time full of great memories and experiences with the people you love, and the ones who you will meet who will become a special part of your life.

5 comments:

  1. Good post.

    Surely you know that you can also preserve memories (with whatever tinge) through pen and paper...

    ReplyDelete
  2. na recent good memories just make me smile and old good memories make me so deeply nostalgic i can't bear to think of them sometimes. all bad memories make me MAD :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinker, some memories just can't be written down. plus, I'm not very good at writing those kind of things, like in a journal or diary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No two experiences are truly alike. While life may seem like a bunch of repetitive cycles: Hours, days, weeks, seasons and years etc. as each of these units of time come around again, we have the experiences (noun) of last time that help us experience (verb) things in a new light.

    Some quotes on nostalgia that come to mind:

    - "The nostalgia of today is nothing like the nostalgia we used to feel when I was young."

    - "Nostalgia is the realization that challenges in the past were not so bad after all."

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.