I used to think the trees created wind. After all, you can't see the wind, but you see the trees moving with the breeze. Then I grew up and was set right.
Cause and effect. Do I cause my actions, or do my actions cause me to be the person I am?
It is true that a person is more likely to act according to his surroundings. If a person is in a room full of people who are quiet, naturally he will stay quiet. If the room full of people is loud and partying, well he might still be quiet.
There is a concept, fake it till you make it. Smile, and you will become a happy person. Force yourself to learn, and you will become a learner. Do an action over and over again until the action becomes you.
The same with the way you dress. Dress aidel, and you will become an aidel person. And the opposite is also true.
A strong person causes his actions, but a weak person lets his actions sway and define him. So which person are you?
Tonight is Gimel Tamuz. I can't help but remember where I was a year ago. In an airport in Detroit, on standby, hoping I would get on the plane that would take me to California. I davened mincha, I called my mother crying, and when I calmed down I realized it was Gimel Tamuz and I was stuck in an airport.
No, this is not some story that ends with how I did mivtzoyim and told everyone about Gimel Tamuz and got Jews to do mitzvos. That's not how every story ends. Sometimes, self reflection is enough. Where am I? Yes, I know I am here, but where am I in life? Where am I headed?
Tomorrow is my brother's bar mitzvah and I will count that as my farbrengin. Wherever you are, whatever stage you are in life, take a moment for self reflection and ask yourself, where am I? Do I let my actions define me, or am I strong enough to make my actions reflect the person I want to be?
Lechaim
L'chaim Ul'vracha, Mazal Tov!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the words of inspiration.
:) glad to be of service.
ReplyDeleteYou're absolutely right. Your perspective affects your actions, which cumulatively define who you are.
ReplyDeleteThree quotes I thought of when reading this post:
- "A chossid makes his environment."
- The Alter Rebbe told a minister who visited him in prison (I'm going to paraphrase, I don't remember the quote verbatim): "G-d's constant rhetoric to a person is 'Ayekah? Where are you in life?'"
- The Rebbe explains chazal's teaching as saying that the inner essence ('toch') of faking ('shelo-lishmah') is also sincere ('lishmah').
:) thanks. This is great. We can have a virtual farbrengin.
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking that.
ReplyDeleteAnd the perfect thing is, you dont need to make time for it. Just post a thought, leave, come back, respond to other people's comments. The perfect farbrengin.
ReplyDeletegut yomtov, u know when u walk down the street you see ppl somtimes withot hands, or feet, but YOU will NEVER see someone without a head...the rebbe is OUR head and he is with us!!
ReplyDeletethank you for that deep and insightful comment. I can't tell if you are serious and it scares me a bit but thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete