It feels like just yesterday. We sent him off to shul with a bag of sour sticks, evidence of it drooling down his chin. His hair was freshly washed and combed, that action taking some time and effort, and a bit of struggling. He looked so cute and little in his tiny sneakers. And today was the day. He was getting his first haircut.
That was ten years ago. This week my little brother will be turning thirteen. He is my youngest sibling, and the last of the boys to have a bar mitzva. It should feel more special and momentous, but somehow it's not. It just feels normal. Regular.
A few years ago when my sister was not yet married I said, iy''h by the time my little brother's bar mitzvah comes around, she will be married, and maybe we will even have a niece or nephew to celebrate with. B"H my 'prophecy' came true. My sister is married, and my little niece will be at the bar mitzvah.
I am happy for him. I know to a little boy a bar mitzvah doesn't mean much. Your friends come, you get money and presents, you have cake, and dancing. And for Orthodox Jews, the boy is not exactly taking on the mitzvot for the first time. They are trained from when they are young, so that when they come to the point where they are obligated to do them, they won't be so hard and burdensome. So what does a bar mitvah mean, exactly? I guess it means he is growing up.
To my mother he will always be her 'baby'. And she does baby him. I can imagine he will be married and my mother will still call up reminding him little things, making him food, driving him places. But such is the way of a mother. To me he will always be the little brother who is slightly annoying, sometimes okay, and will never grow up.
To my little brother: (name excluded, in case it will G-d forbid affect his future shidduchim***) I wish you much happiness, and hope that your growing up years will be smooth and not bumpy, and that one day I will look at you and no longer see you as a baby, but a mature adult, and an equal.
Now lets hope that I can find a dress in time for the bar mitzvah, and that it will truly be a joyous occasion.
Mazal tov!
*** meant strictly as a joke.
Mazal tov!
ReplyDeleteI'm not saying you should post his name, but I'm wondering how the fact that he is growing up at the age of 13 adversely affect his Shidduch prospects?
It was meant as a bad pun, because apparently ANYTHING you do can adversely affect a shidduch prospect. It's ridiculous, I know, but I didn't make it up.
ReplyDeleteBar Mitzvah is the biggest rip off ever.
ReplyDeleteEveryone tells you that you are finally a man but it's all a lie. You're still a BOY until you get married. You're not even chayiv any punishments until 20 anyways...
I didn't know that.
ReplyDeleteAnd some might say that you are still a boy even when you get married. Some people become a man when they have kids. And some just never grow up.
Okay but you are socially called a boy by yidden.
ReplyDeleteYes, I am going to never never land. (not to be confused with neverland ranch ch"v)
why would you go there? the one in wizard of oz?
ReplyDeleteno, it's from peter pan. and feivel, you ARE chayiv in punishments after bar mitzvah, just until 20 you cannot have a capital punishment (which means you cannot be put to death)
ReplyDeletewhat does that have to do with punishments? we are speaking about punishments for offenses committed
ReplyDeleteYossi - someone isn't able to be involved in his father's property (if he's not alive Ch"V) until he's 20, no?
ReplyDeleteAltie- I felt like a million bucks by my Barmy.
P.S. Check out my new poll.
http://whysosalty.blogspot.com/
how did you go from the thinker to chezky?
ReplyDeleteWell thankfully I never had a bar mitzvah so I wouldn't know. I'll have to ask my brother how he enjoys it.
@Yossi: I thought Bais Din can't give you ANY punishments?
ReplyDelete@Altie: Never Never Land is a place in Peter Pan where children get to stay children forever.
oh yes, i know what that is. i never actually watched peter pan, or the wizard of oz. well, you cant stay a kid forever.
ReplyDeletealtie- just like that.
ReplyDeletehmmm ok cool. Better a name then a title.
ReplyDelete