Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fireflies

They were my favorite summer companions. Many a lazy summers night we would sit outside, my little neighbor friends and I, lay in the grass and look up at the sky. They would come out after dark. We called them light-up bugs, because they light up.

They would flit around aimlessly, and their tails would randomly glow, for but a second, leaving you to wonder if you actually saw what you saw. It was magical.

I just saw one tonight. I wasn't sure it was it, but there was my little friend, winking at me. I forgot how much fun we had as kids.

Hello fireflies, my summer friend.

25 comments:

  1. The child in us all lives on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And at times begs to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To come out and play, like the fireflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mostly to be carefree with no stress, and to be able to fall asleep instantly, without having so many thoughts. Ahhh, how nice that would feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And to wake up at 6 AM the next morning refreshed and energetic, with a curiosity to discover the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I forgot about that. Now ^ am is the enemy.

    Oh to be a kid again. Maybe a kid with money. And some adult privileges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's essentially what we are, the rest is the 'packaging'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well they do say men are just big babies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch. What a gross (pun intended) generalization.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, a) I didn't make it up, b) you are right, not all guys, and c) some women never grow up either.

    Of course, gender issues are a sensitive topic.

    And yes, I was joking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't offended, I just had to respond to them (as in 'they say').

    Gender issues are perhaps sensitive because the lines have been blurred so the distinctive qualities of each gender are harder to appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very true. Can men do laundry, or is that solely a woman's job? And if women work too these days should men make dinner?

    I'm no feminist. Equal rights, sure. But don't shave your head and wear pants just to show you are equal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Equal rights and gender equality are very different.

    Besides, if only the focus was on what we could give to the opposite gender, instead of focusing on what we could get.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How appropriate: Food preparation on Thursday Night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perhaps I should add, hearty appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If only. Only organized super women do shabbos cooking Thursday night. (Why did you capitalize night?)

    I'm packing. I'm flying in the am.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is 'super organized women' English nomenclature for Aishes Chayil?

    I guess my education (lack thereof) is to blame for the mistakes in my writing.

    Have a safe (and fun) trip. $1 - Here's some virtual shliyach mitzvah gelt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. :) haha thanks my father gave me some already.

    I wouldn't know about aishes chayil, haven't been there yet, I assume so, though what are all those other women called who are not so organized? Just aishes?

    At least you type well, punctuate, capitalize all the words. All pluses.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm flattered beyond words, but I'm obliged to be pedantic:

    - Perhaps I write well, but you've never seen me type.

    - I Don't Capitalize All The Words (sic), I capitalize all the right words.

    I'm off to read , have a wonderful Shabbos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gah, serves me right for not using the 'Preview' button:

    I'm off to read Kriyas Shema *

    ReplyDelete
  21. You use big words like pedantic. I don't think they taught you that in school.

    Don't matter how you type.

    Thanks, you too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You can't see anything in the sky in NYC :-(
    I love fireflies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. To a kid who grew up in the city, what there is is all there is to see. Once, I was in a planetarium in the science museum and I gasped. In the country you can see real stars, not hazy dots. And this whole time I thought it was my glasses...

    Fireflies stay near the grass. Ya me too and I like the song as well.

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.