Tuesday, July 19, 2011
A little birdy in the concrete
Have you left your footprint on the world? This little birdy did. He walked right through that wet cement, and his little birdy feet will forever be embedded on the pavement.
Isn't it cute when you see a baby's footprint on the sidewalk? You wonder who that little child is who didn't know better and walked where they weren't supposed to.
What if you could really leave something of yourself behind? Physical things don't last. One day everything will crumble and burn, even those side walks with the footprints left behind.
So what will you leave of yourself for the world to remember you by? Will they remember you at all?
I look at those birdy prints and I think how funny. But where is that birdy now? I wonder, does his feet still have bits of cement stuck to them?
I don't think I have made an impact on the world. On a list of 'what can I do to make a difference in the world' people might list: solve world hunger, make a medical discovery, win a Nobel prize, discover a cure for cancer, etc. I have done none of the above, nor do I care to.
I do not need my name on everyone's lips, I do not need my picture in the newspaper, I do not need to be recognized wherever I go. I do not need to be publicly acknowledged for anything, though it might feel nice.
I want to do something that I will know in my heart that I made a difference, that G-d will know, and the people who matter will know.
When I figure it out, I guess I will jump on that bandwagon.
In the meantime, I will ponder where that little birdy has wandered off to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The example troubles me, as the feet in concrete is a bad thing. first of all causing a stain on the bird, second of all ruining public property which was payed for with taxpayers money. All in all, its a negative mark left on the world, something which most people dont aim for.
ReplyDeleteI think you are taking the example a little too far. First off, unlike graffiti I don't think the bird set out intentionally to make a footprint. Second I don't think the bird cares if he has concrete on his feet.
ReplyDeleteHow is it negative? I think you are just nitpicking.
Maybe try learning a 'lesson' from the post instead of pointing out what's wrong with it.
The bird may not have done it intentionally, but the baby you mention did. That is graffiti. And, the cement probably did bother the poor bird.
ReplyDeleteIt did damage to public property. It is leaving a mark on the world in a non-positive way.