I am an impostor.
I play the part.
Act the part.
I try to be the part.
But it is not me.
I sit when I need to go.
I crawl when I need to run.
I keep silent when I need to scream.
I am an impostor.
I say I'm okay when I'm not.
I eat when I'm not hungry.
And refrain when I am starving.
I get scared by things you wouldn't think of.
Yet I can kill a bug with my hand,
when everyone else runs screaming.
I am an impostor.
I do so much for you.
But for myself,
I do nothing at all.
I would never tell you when I am scared.
I do not want to appear weak.
I do not want you to have that power over me.
I am an impostor.
You offer me your hand.
I say no at all costs.
Even if this pit is too deep even for me.
I lie to you, and to myself.
I say I can do it.
When I know that I cannot.
I am an impostor.
I hate to need you.
But I hate even more
When I need you but will never admit it.
I am an impostor.
I grit my teeth and do it, when I say I can.
Because I cannot admit to you
that I can't.
Somehow everyone has learned it.
But these skills evade me.
And so I must pretend, at all costs.
I am an impostor.
I can go on pretending, faking it.
Maybe I'll convince you.
Maybe one day I'll convince me too.
Am I an impostor because I try to be
the person who I think I should be,
who everyone expects me to be?
But inside
I am an impostor.
And maybe
I will never be
the "real" me.
beautiful writing,I felt the same for the past few years of my life, being that girl everyone wanted me to be. You cannot be afraid of changing, going out there and be who you truly are. It will build you
ReplyDeleteThanks. but it's hard to change.
ReplyDeleteof course, but it's you that's at stake.
ReplyDeleteYou are not meant to be who they want you to be
Not only will you be happier, but you be able to perform much better in life
And the people who count the most, should be able to accept you for who you are, not whom they want you to be
I went through that this past year, and there is so much i can say about it because i identify to your poem so much. Maybe ill email you
I dont know your situation, and I am sorry you feel that way because its tough
tough to change you say
yes.
But do it
Feel free to email me. I get what you are saying. And truthfully I'm really not the type to be what everyone wants or expects me to be. This poem is a little blurry, it is kind of talking about something else.
ReplyDelete