One time my back went out suddenly, and I was in a lot of pain, to the point that I couldn't stand properly. The whole Shabbos I lay on the couch with an ice pack on my back, in agony, wishing the pain would go away.
After Shabbos my mother made an appointment at the chiropractor. I didn't really believe in them, but I figured, I might as well try, I don't have many options. The doctor had me take x-rays of my spine. She made some adjustments to my back, and then this is what she told me:
"It may feel better, it may feel worse, or it may not feel any different." Really? Thanks lady. You just fortified my doubts about chiropractors. Now I know why they are called quacks.
Thank G-d a few days later it was much better, and then eventually it went back to normal.
And I never could figure out if the chiropractor helped at all, or if it just got better on its own, and it would have gotten better anyway had I not gone to the chiropractor at all.
In life, we sometimes encounter certain situations, or obstacle. We try to find solutions and ways to get past it and overcome them.
And sometimes things just get better on their own, and 'work themselves out'.
My mother always says, 'Everything will work out just fine."
My question is, will things just magically work out, or is it my job to make it work? If I don't put in effort at all, will things get better? Will life just fall into place?
Life will happen with or without you. But wouldn't you rather be an active participant?
I guess that's the real question.
Its true.
ReplyDeleteIn a way, this is what Mordechai told ester, the jews will be saved with or without you..you can either participate or not.
The world will go on. But you were put here to do something that no one else was. Yes, things will work out, but does not mean that we shouldnt do our part to make sure that it does.
That being said, we have to understand when things are beyond our control.
And when is that point of beyond control? When can one say I did enough, now it is up to G-d?
ReplyDeleteIts a fine line, different for everyone.
ReplyDeleteWe have to put in a reasonable effort, all the time knowing that its not our efforts that give results rather G-ds will that does