Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Rebirth

Do you believe in second chances? I do. We all get second chances, many many times in life. And third, and fourth. The question is, what do you do about it? Do you lie in bed with the covers drawn and let life pass you by? Or do you take the opportunity life handed you, and run with it?

My mother chose the first option for many years. She lay in bed with the covers pulled up, both literally and figuratively, and bemoaned the fact that she didn't know how to do anything, didn't have the skills, and that no one would want to hire her.

She tried, over the years, with odd jobs here and there. She even applied for some jobs and set up an interview, but got too scared to go and cancelled at the last minute.

Today, she came to me and asked me to make her a resume, and handed me two cut outs from the local papers of jobs she wanted to apply for.

First, I had to make her an email address. Yes, that's how behind the times she is. Then, procure a resume from thin air, one that would not get her laughed out of an interview. I have skills, and a way with words, but I'm not even sure my skills could turn her minimal work experience from the 80's and early 90's, as well as a barely half-finished college education into something substantial and hire worthy.

I'm sure she's scared, I'm sure she is terrified at the idea of getting a job and returning to the workforce after many years of raising kids and being at home. I'm sure she is just as scared of no one wanting to hire her.

I understand the fear, the doubt and the uncertainty surrounding the future, the desire to do something useful but have no idea what that something is. I understand what it feels like to be searching for a place in this world, a place to fit in, and perhaps to make a difference. And I want to help her, to give her a chance.

So I will turn her song-and-poetry writing, book authoring, mothering, volunteering, driving, cooking, shopping, hosting, sleeping, supporting, comforting, laughing, smiling skills into a resume that not only explains experience relevant to the position, but one that explains life experience- a living breathing human being who still has time left in this world and would like to make a contribution to society.

I do hope she finds her second purpose, (that's not to say us kids have stopped bothering her) and that she does not get dejected by rejection.

Taking chances is part of life. So go, do not be afraid to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THINK before you utter your thoughts.