I am grateful to a reader of this blog who introduced me to the above quote a few years ago.
I know what scares me the most- the thought that I might actually be able to succeed at something. That thought creates a desire, which creates the possibility of failure, which stops me in my tracks and freezes me. Suddenly, I can't breath.
I am scared to try and fail. I know that it's "better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all" but what about the discouragement and dejection that comes from rejection? What about being to scared to try again?
I emailed a former professor recently for advice, and he was really encouraging. He let me know what he thought of my skills and where they would be most effective. Suddenly, he put this idea in my head that maybe I could actually do something substantial, be something.
I'm not saying I never believed in myself, it's just nice to hear it from someone else. Sometimes we get this fire inside of us that roars to life and propels us forward, urging us on to try things we were previously afraid of.
Sometimes that fire is what sets us free, sometimes it is what consumes and eventually destroys us. The choice is up to you.
In that vein, a quote by Joseph Campbell:

No comments:
Post a Comment
THINK before you utter your thoughts.