Walking home from work today, some guy said to me, "Hello, how are you? Do you need a man?". There are unsavory characters in the area near my office. Stare straight ahead and keep walking. Repeat silently over and over, 'please don't follow me, please don't follow me'.
Um, no. I don't need a man. Particularly, I don't need you.
I'm not trying to fool myself. Yes, eventually I will meet a great guy and get married. Someday. But I don't need a man. I am learning more about myself each day, and what it takes to be the strong confident woman I know I am meant to be.
My mother is on a trip in Florida with my sister. My mother doesn't have Facebook but my sister is a serial poster. She keeps posting pictures of them on their trip. Here they are at the beach, visiting my grandparents, eating food, in the warm Florida sun. Yay. good for you. It's freakin cold here.
My mom looks so relaxed. She looks happy. I spoke to her last night, and she told me she is learning who she is away from her kids. My youngest brother is 16. We are all growing up. While I will always need my mother in my life, she has more free time now, and she is connecting with herself. My mom became a Baal Teshuva years ago, before she got married. I think the whole 'yidishkeit' thing was kind of thrust upon her, and by the time she was married and having kids, she just ran with it. Jump on the moving train, and all that.
In Chabad most married women wear sheitels outside the house. We consider it to be the most mehudar- the highest form of tznius for a women in covering her hair. There are many different kinds of acceptable head coverings, and while I respect everyone's decision, I was brought up being taught that a women wears a sheitel outside of the house.
Lately, I noticed that more and more my mother is wearing tichels (scarves) outside of the house. It is weird for me, because I always saw her putting on a sheitel to go out. But in this picture of her in Florida, she looks so beautiful. She's wearing a purple tichel that gives color to her cheeks, she looks relaxed and happy, and younger. She looks different. She says she is remembering what she was like before she became frum. My mom was talented. She acted in plays, she made up songs, she played musical instruments. She gave all that up when she became frum. Now she is trying to find a way to combine both parts of her.
I don't suppose people live their whole lives as one stagnant entity. No one wants to be stagnant. I'm young. I never thought beyond marriage, I can barely imagine myself having kids, let alone a life 'after kids'. I think it's nice that my mother is rediscovering herself now that she has an 'empty nest'.
I don't need a man to be me. I am learning how to be me on my own. How to be the best me that I can be. And when I do G-d willing find the person I will spend my life with, we will be two complete wholes joining together as one.
you go girl!
ReplyDelete'Like!' :) Thanks.
DeleteI don't think it's most mehudar. I do it because:
ReplyDeletea) I am so odd-Chabad already that I feel like I need to do something in order to really be part of the community.
b) When we were engaged my husband and I were discussing the sheitel issue. We feel the same way - that it's really b'dieved - on the issue and realize why the Rebbe wanted everyone to do it. Well, while we were debating the Rebbe came to him in a dream and told him why yes, davka I should wear a sheitel. He's never dreamed of the Rebbe before or since. So, I wear one.
Hate it and wish I could do what your mother did.
I agree with you. And am proud of your independent pride in yourself. Good for you!
:) Thanks. Love how you call yourself 'odd Chabad.'
DeleteI actually never really thought of myself as that, it just kind of came out. Well, it actually isn't the first time it came out that way, but . . . lacking any other definition, "odd Chabad" it will just have to be.
DeleteI've come to realize that I just am not classic Chabad, or what Chabad is "supposed" to be.
Sigh.
Just glad I found someone as weird as I am. Sometimes I wish I could be normal, though.