I love reading a good book. A feeling comes over you, of actually falling into the book. You feel yourself sinking deeper and deeper into the story, it draws you in, until the world falls away. You forget about everything, you forget your hunger, you forget your responsibilities, and all you want to do is read, and find out where the enthralling story will take you.
I like fiction because it allows you to experience a different world, a world that is unreal, a world that does not exist and never will. Whether one enjoys science fiction, horror, thrillers, mysteries, or romance, there are stories for everyone. Books allow you to forget about your own life for awhile, put your worries on hold. They distract you. Sometimes distraction is exactly what you need, so you can return to your life refreshed and renewed.
But be sure not to read any scary books before bedtime, unless you like sleeping with the lights on.
So go ahead, put aside the laundry, the dishes, the homework, and curl up in your favorite chair in your comfortable sweats, with a really good book, and let yourself get lost for awhile.
Don't worry, reality will be waiting for you when you get back.
I totally agree with you. People need to read books more. There is nothing better than curling up on the couch with a great book.
ReplyDeleteI think this is also why I like writing fiction. It's fun to be the director of the story and get inside the heads of characters. You get to almost literally be someone else as you compose their story.
:) I haven't written fiction in awhile, and yes it is a great feeling being a 'creator', but you also have to know your limits, as some people push the boundaries too much and write outrageous stories.
DeleteAnd I haven't been reading a lot lately, 'no time', I miss getting lost in a good book.