Sunday, October 24, 2010

The month of Cheshvan



I wanted to know why the month of Cheshvan is called "MarCheshvan". Why is it referred to as bitter? I googled it and came up with this:


It is known that the month of Cheshvan is known as “Mar” Cheshvan, bitter Cheshvan, because of its lack of holidays. Why is it that this month is so empty of holidays?

Rav Kook, in Meged Yerachim, writes for the Month of Cheshvan: “When the soul is illuminating, even a cloudy sky can give bright light” (rough translation).

The message is clear. After the intense month of Tishrei where almost every day has special significance and where we continuously grow, now we are put to test. What are we going to do in a regular, day to day, life? How will we react in a month devoid of holidays?

We can look at that month as a cloudy and dark month. Or, we can recognize the fact that its cloudy but also that it hides some deep light behind the clouds. And when our soul is illuminated after such an intense month of growth, we can attain this light even through the clouds.

The light of the Month of Cheshvan is very deep. Most of the time, the deeper the thing, the harder it is to get to it, the less obvious it is. May all our preparations of the month of Tishrei give us enough strength to find the light inside the month of Cheshvan. Chodesh Tov!


Written by: Dan Illouz


I am of course saying the prayer "mashiv haruach umorid hageshem" in shmonei esrei, even if I don't really enjoy the rain so much. I think it is meant to benifit Israel more then us, but even so it has been a rainy past few weeks.

Today I went shopping for a winter coat. As I drove home I noticed how the leaves had changed colors. I don't usually pay attention to that. They are a very pretty shade of red now, as opposed to the generally green color. But it is a dreary feeling.

The cold weather, coupled with the fact that I am tired and coming down with a cold, makes me want to curl up in bed with a sweatshirt and socks on and a hot cup of tea.

Tomorrow morning, each girl will get a cup of powerade on her desk with a label that says: "Good morning! Today is Yud Zayin Cheshvan. The day the mabul started!"

Happy rainy season.

5 comments:

  1. See, I like to look at Marcheshvan another way. Granted this is just my own explanation but still here goes. It isn't mar because its bitter, its mar because it is called Mr. Cheshvan. And it holds its head up high. Why? Because Tishrei has all the holidays, Kislev has Chanukah, and Chesvhan? Cheshvan has nothing in it to disturb the precious Torah learning that Yidden do all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am of course saying the prayer 'mashiv haruach umorid hageshem' in shmonei esrei, even if I don't really enjoy the rain so much."

    Ok the jig is up. What have you done with the real Altie?

    Don't like the rain so much???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. "Will the real Altie please stand up."

    So many conflicting statements. Ok the truth is, you are right I do love the rain. But I don't like to drive in it. Plus I don't like the dreary feeling it brings.

    I like the sensation of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this post a lot. That's such a good point about Cheshvan not having any yomim tovim but using the light of Tishrei to keep it illuminated - it's a beautiful thought!

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.