Sunday, July 4, 2010

My 4th of July

It started out normal, but ended off with a fright.

We had a fun day at Fun Fore All, an indoor arcade place, with outdoor go carting, bumper boats, rides, miniature golf, batting cages. It was lots of fun. We got soaking wet squirting each other on the bumper boats, I got hit in the arm by a flying soft ball, while I discovered that I suck at baseball, and the go carts were not that much fun now that I drive a car all the time.

We came home and had a barbecue, in one of those mini outdoor portable grills. The hamburgers crumbles cuz I put too much sauce in it. I am slowly learning that I have no skills. I left the coals to burn out and be disposed of later, and we went to a family's house to celebrate their son's birthday with cake. Afterward we were gonna go watch the fire works.

The grill wasn't hot anymore so I took it to the dumpster and poured the coals in. It smoked a bit. I should have known.

I went inside for a bit, stalled, went on the computer, hung around. Then we left to go to fire works. And I noticed the garbage dump smoking. Then came the flames.

I wasn't so calm. I called 911. It rang and rang and no one was answering so I hung up and called again, it still rang like five times until someone picked up, and I thought maybe it was an automated voice, or perhaps police isn't 911 here. Their customer service sucks.

Luckily, I knew the address of the Chabad house, and also luckily, we are staying right next store to a fire station. Some girls ran over to call them, and knocked and knocked and it took awhile for someone to come. Then they took their time getting into the truck, getting the hose, etc etc. They said cuz it was contained in the garbage dump it wasn't that dangerous.

The Rabbi came, spoke to the police and fireman.

Every day we say, let's go visit the fire station. And we never do. Finally, they came to us. Kind of ironic.

I saw some fire works in the sky, as we drove around and around. Thank G-d it was fine, everything was ok, I handled it fine even though I was freaked out.

That was a 4th of July I'll never forget.

Happy holiday.

13 comments:

  1. Maybe that should be your, but I am pretty sure you're works because it is you are. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You got it right the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha @ homonym confusion.

    My 4th was awesome, had a really nice BBQ with the fam. The pyromaniac in me wasn't provoked by a smoking garbage dump though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pyromaniac, huh. I like fire, I like bonfires, but not an accidental one in the garbage dump, which is now charred beyond recognition. I have still yet to take a picture with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not just bonfires; matches, lighters, candles, torches and fireplaces all excite that side of me. Fire has this intense energy, combined with the tranquil dance of the flickering flame, that is unparalleled in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fire is pretty, I'll give you that much. And yes, it is a wonder of nature. It is nice to sit and stare into the flames. It is fun to light matches.

    But pyromaniacs worry me in the sense that, they don't seem to have the same caution and sense of danger that most people have towards fire. They see it as an exciting activity. If that's how you get your high, that's fine by me. But safety is first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safety is obviously first, but why is it inherently less safe than say, skydiving for instance?

    (disclaimer: For the record, I am probably not a pyromaniac)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never do skydiving, I'm not that daring. I dunno, maybe it is justified by saying that skydiving affects only you, but starting fires can affect others. Either way, it is a moot point.

    Probably not? You said it right there, in ink and everything. It's ok, we are very accepting here. You can be whatever you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made a valid argument there, but skydiving was just an example.

    A pyromaniac in me, does not make me (the whole of me) a pyromaniac.

    Anyway, bedtime for me, goodnight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. True.

    Bed is calling, sleep awaits, but you can't chill while you are asleep can you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dreamland is like this blog, you can be anything you want to be :)

    Now, for my bedtime routine: *stares at the ceiling* One sheep... Two sheep... Three sheep... Four sheep... Five sheep... Si... Zzz... zzz...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snort. I have actually tried that before. It didn't work. Then I did 99 bottles of beer on the wall. Don't remember if I got down to one. I might have cheated. But thank G-d camp is so tiring sleep comes quickly.

    Good night.

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.