Hope everyone is having an easy fast. Most days in camp I'm too busy to eat anyway, so I bring a sandwich with me on the go. But when you are not allowed to eat you feel it so much more.
Last week's dress up contest was crazy hat day. Some kids didn't bring hats, so a little boy got up wearing a kippa. These kids are no where near religious, but they are encouraged to wear kippa and yalmuka in camp, with incentives and prizes to help them. I asked each kid what his hat was called, so the kid said, 'it's called a God cap'. I asked him why and he said cuz when you wear it it reminds you of G-d, and it's important. He's only seven. Needless to say, he won the dress up contest.
It's little things like that that make me smile and remind me why I'm doing this.
It's harder for me to connect to the kids cuz I don't have one specific bunk to connect with one on one, it's really all the kids in my charge. That's about 40 kids every day, and I'm only now beginning to learn all the names. But I decided to put in extra effort to learn the kids names and matching faces, because that is important.
Camp is going good. Every day is different, but thank G-d at the end of every day I can say we did it, and then go to sleep. Correction: and then prepare for the next day.
It's definitely an alternate universe. I know it won't last and it'll end sometime, but I can't remember what it was like before, and I have no idea what will happen after. For now, the present is good enough for me.
Who knows what the future will bring- forget about it, just focus on the now.
Keep up the great work.
ReplyDelete:) thank you
ReplyDelete