You wake up in the morning with a song in your heart, thinking today is gonna be the day. Today you will conquer the world. Today, you will do good, you will make it happen, you will change the world.
And then you go to sleep dejected, because you didn't even try.
I was gonna go to a neighbor's wedding, but I didn't, because I came back late from class. I was gonna pay my teacher a shiva call, but I didn't, because I excused myself saying that I didn't know her that well.
I was gonna do so many things. Like learn a new language. And travel the world. Make a discovery. Become a volunteer at a soup kitchen. Work with disabled children. Donate blood. Ride a motorcycle. Meet my favorite actor.
And now, 71 years later, I find myself at 90. And the only thing on that list I did was learn French. Now I know the numbers from 1-10, and the days of the week.
I'm joking, of course. I am only 19. Thank G-d I have my whole life ahead of me, and despite my brother's claim that anyone who ever became famous did it before they hit 20, I know I still have a chance.
Okay let's try this: make yourself a list of the top 20 things you want to attempt or accomplish before you turn ____. I would put the range at 5 years. And look at it every once in awhile, and encourage yourself to do them.
If that includes getting a tattoo, or shaving your head, sky diving, or going on an archaeological dig, meeting the president, or running naked in the street, then by all means, include it on your list. Just make sure to put that very low down, cuz you might never actually get to it.
Be creative, be true to yourself. Write stuff down that you know in your heart you want to do, but would never admit to anyone. Like if you want to become a chef, but you think all your friends would think of you as a sissy.
At the end of the day, you don't want any regrets. So start now, and turn all your intentions into actualization.
Do it! (That was supposed to be said with a very scary face, like when I want my little brother to do what I say.) Get off the couch people!
i was meaning to do this today...
ReplyDeletemind if i do it right here?
by yud tes kislev i want to:
learn a sicha from start to finish
watch the jem farbrengen
call y----
hit an epiphany
meditate
be nice to someone
progress
write to the Rebbe
good list. Check back here on Monday to see if you did it all.
ReplyDeletei've never seen the appeal of being famous... i understand the attention aspect is appealing, but surely not 24/7? famous people are harrassed people, and you could never meet normal people any more... nope, fame isn't for me!
ReplyDeletestandard stuff like be nice shouldn't be so out of the norm it needs inclusion on a list!
you see im not even going to read this bc... its too long
ReplyDeleteyou are such a wimp. well at least you checked it out, thats a first step. you should read it, its good. positive.
ReplyDeleteWhen I get hitched, I'm gonna have streakers at my wedding. This is my dream.
ReplyDelete(Just kidding! No, really!)
have so much to do, just need to do it
ReplyDeleteNo way! I will forever stay in my precious bubble of not doing anything with my life, I will always be happy with being bored and sinking deeper into my potato-couch. I have plenty of to-do lists and i enjoy ignoring them. As always, i put the pro in procrastinate.
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, VERY NICE post! Best one yet, i can't get over it. Please keep up the awesome work and stop being depressed
:) thank you big n8t, I am not depressed! and anyway, the next time I write a post you like you'll say that one is the best one yet. you just cant make up your mind can u
ReplyDelete"the best one yet" could be said about every new post one writes. it's not that somebody can't make up their mind. technically, it could make sense to say 'this is the best one yet'. it just means they are getting better and better.
ReplyDelete:) you are right. yay for me.
ReplyDeletethe checklist helped
ReplyDeletei didnt write to the rebbe
progress
or hit an epiphany
be nice? dunno
the others- yes
good good. look at the accomplishments, not the failures. ok, now make a checklist for yud shvat. thats the next big one coming up.
ReplyDelete