Can you be in two places at once? Physically, maybe. If I straddle the state line. A cool concept, that I've never tried. Mentally, yes. I can be in one place, and my thoughts in another.
If I'm here, then I'm here, right? Wrong. I can be sitting in class, physically, but staring longingly out the window, thinking of the gorgeous day outside, and how I really wish I could be there, and not here. So then, I'm not really here, I'm there.
We went jeeping on friday. As it was coming to an end, we were rushing back to get ready for shabbos. The rabbi said something that I think I'll always remember: If you're here, then be here. Enjoy the jeep ride. Don't be thinking about how little time you have left to get ready for shabbos, because then you are not here, AND you are not there. So you are really no where.
Then he made us all jump into the water, he said he wouldn't leave till we were all wet. That was fun.
A well known chassidic saying goes: "Wherever a man's thoughts are, thats where he is".
So stay in the moment, enjoy the moment, and try not to be in two places at once.
Your RABBI waited for all of you to get wet? That sounds sketchy to me.
ReplyDeleteWhat school are you in?
Subscribing... (seriously, I have to have something intelligent to say on each and every post?)
ReplyDeleteI'm in sem. He was not our rabbi, but the one who was hosting us. No the point was not that he wanted us to be wet, he just wanted us to have fun.
ReplyDeleteTRS- point taken. Notice i do the same on your blog. Just to verify- what does 'subscribing' mean?
I'm with C, sounds like a thinly veiled wet t-shirt contest...
ReplyDeleteYou are missing the whole point. Forget it, I never should have mentioned it.
ReplyDeleteThe new-fangled blogger system allows one to subscribe to comments without actually leaving a comment, ma sheain kain the old one-hence, "subscribing".
ReplyDeleteSo you can see what people are saying without actually saying anything yourself. Smooth
ReplyDeleteWouldn't have to do something like that if someone would enable inline commenting...
ReplyDeletewhats that?
ReplyDeleteGo into blog settings and you'll see.
ReplyDeleteMoshe-I wouldn't have put it so crudely, but yeah it doesn't sound good :).
ReplyDelete