Monday, May 18, 2009

Pre- birthday post


Yes, it's that time of year. This thursday, 27th of Iyar (I only celebrate the hewbrew one. Incidentally, my english one is the next day, so who knows? I can celebrate both and have a 2 day b-day.) is my birthday. I will be 19 years of age.

I know I know. What's 19? 18 is when you are legal, 21 is when you can drink, and 25 is when you are considered old. So why bother celebrating anything else?

And as much as I want to say, I'll be a whole year older, truthfully, I won't. I'll just be one day older than I was yesterday. Which is every day. So why bother celebrating?

Ok, I'm not taking apart the meaning behind birthdays, and why we celebrate them. Some people know, some don't, most don't care anyway. It's just an excuse to party. Some people don't even need an excuse, but it's nice all the same to have a whole day dedicated just to you.

I'm nervous. Not because I'm getting older, (which is a bit much to comprehend) but because I don't know how to deal with it. Do I party the day away, with friends? Do I sit all day saying tehillim, and make it into something special? Do I ignore it altogether? Get drunk, make it a day to remember?

Bottem line: I don't want it to come yet, because the sooner it comes, the sooner it's gone. And I don't want it to just pass, like a regular day. I want it to mean something. I want to accomplish something through it. How to do that?

Maybe a little bit of everything. Farbrengin, party, celebrate, have fun. (No drinking, even though in Israel I could. Not my style.)

We'll see. I still have 2 days to ponder it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Happy birthday to ME! On thursday. Heads up.

3 comments:

  1. Don't be such a buzzkill, It's your birthday, not your yarziet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go learn the sicha and see what you're supposed to do. A birthday is serious-it's like yom kippur for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TRS- i know what I'm 'supposed' to do, the question is, will I actually do it.

    Childish, I know, but i want it to mean something, mot just be a day to party.

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.