Thursday, November 24, 2011

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving

Seeing as everyone is saying 'Happy Thanksgiving', I feel compelled to add my own non-Thanksgiving day post.

My family doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving as a rule of thumb. Sometimes we 'happen' to have turkey and pumpkin pie on the Shabbos near Thanksgiving. That's about it.

I know there are frum Jews who are traditional and have an official Thanksgiving dinner with family. Whether or not I would agree that we should or should not be acknowledging holidays of the non-Jews, I hope everyone enjoys their turkey dinners and their time with their families.

In my mind every day should be a day of thanks, and every Shabbos should be a time with family to wine and dine and enjoy each other's company. Why just once a year.

I am most thankful for 2 things: The fact that I was born a Jew, and that my parents became religious through Chabad, so I am a Lubavitcher today. (That is one thing.) And I am thankful that I am American, that I have the freedom and privileges that come along with living in this great country. In that order.

G-d bless America!

Now as I said, since I don't celebrate thanksgiving, (but I do have a day off from work), I am now off to buy boots.

Peace! (Love and Harmony.)

P.S. (20 minutes later...) Apparently all stores are closed on Thanksgiving?? Guess I'm celebrating this holiday by default ;) Oh well, boots will have to wait. 

6 comments:

  1. Citizen Of The WorldNovember 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM

    I find it funny that you say you are a chabadnik, yet you do not know your own rebbe's opinion on thanksgiving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox1v9BtDP3k&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where does the Rebbe say that we should celebrate Thanksgiving as a holiday with turkey? While this is a great link, thank you, all the Rebbe is saying is that just as Americans recognize G-d in their giving of thanks, so they should recognize the Chanuka Menorah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Citizen Of The WorldNovember 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM

    "Whether or not I would agree that we should or should not be acknowledging holidays of the non-Jews"....

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are two different things. The Rebbe is finding a common thread between them, but in no way is he saying that we should keep their holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Citizen Of The WorldNovember 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM

    http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/448177/jewish/Thanksgiving-A-Jewish-Perspective.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. All very great links. Thank you for that. Although you are still not defending your point. What I said is not a contradiction to any of this.

    Btw, 'HK', nice new name.

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.