Monday, August 9, 2010

There will always be another one

If not me, someone else.

I didn't get the job because I couldn't work on Tuesday.

I couldn't work on Tuesday because I am meeting someone about a job for next year.

A job for next year trumps a temporary job for the next two weeks.

Hence, I didn't get the job. But don't worry, she found someone else to do it who can work every day.

Ever heard of a replaceable part? It is the smart way manufacturers make their products these days. Should you lose that small screw, wheel, or magnet for your machine, you can always buy a new one. No worries.

Are people replaceable too?

Some people can do a variety of things. Kind of like a 'Jack of all trades'. But what if you are skilled in only one area? Further, what if you are not even sure what areas you are skilled in?

If I can't do it, someone else will.

So it all comes down to this: fit a square into a round hole, or keep playing the slots in the hopes of finding an exact match?

Time is running out.

4 comments:

  1. Altie, there's only one :)

    Good luck with your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very philosophical...i guess the trick is to make yourself irreplaceable?

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.