Monday, May 31, 2010

Monopoly, then and now




Remember the good old days when monopoly came in one standard game, with paper money? You could buy avenues and railroads and companies. It came with little red and green houses. It was a classic.

Now, as I watch my little brother and his friend play, monopoly is just not the same. Now there are no little houses, and you can't buy avenues. Instead, you could buy Mall of America, JFK, airports, cities. AND, and, there is no paper money. Each player gets a credit card, and it comes with a little credit card machine. It's all electronic banking now. And they will never know what once was.

Sigh. I never knew a new game of monopoly would hit so hard and make me realize how much the world is changing.

9 comments:

  1. Oh G-d is that for real? Ugh what happened to good old times. Monopoly was a proponent of business strategy and ethics, with real tangible money, what's this? credit cards and buying JFK? kids these days! and it'll only get worse. think, we're THIS young and already complaining about how things used to be.
    and EVERYTHING is going this way. ugh! Ignorance is bliss. Kids these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just look at the gameboys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. staples, lol. we sound old.

    thinker- good one. i never even had a gameboy. and now i wouldnt know how to use one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This development is terrible.
    You can't rob the bank anymore!

    @ The Thinker - Yeah, I remember gameboy having just a d-pad and two buttons + start and select. Now its all wireless, two screens, lots of buttons. scary stuff.

    @ Staples - "Everything is going this way"
    Yeah they also changed Risk. THAT is heresy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there's a digression here (compared to the classic version):

    - The credit card idea is silly, impossible to stash emergency cash under the board.

    - Children don't learn math while playing.

    - All the rents I had memorized when I was a kid are now obsolete now that the property names have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. see? i agree. it is ludicrous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monopoly is teaching people to becoming more American, buy everything with credit; money we don’t have. ;) jk

    ReplyDelete
  8. "JustaGuy said...
    - The credit card idea is silly, impossible to stash emergency cash under the board."

    I thought I was the only one that did that...lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. and kids just aint pullin' up their damn pants either...

    ReplyDelete

THINK before you utter your thoughts.