We are learning the laws of yichud. Interestingly enough, there is a law against yichud on the internet. Here's the link www.sichosinenglish.org/books/the-laws-of-yichud/13.htm
The Internet
279. Leading halachic authorities have strongly suggested that one should keep the laws of Yichud when online. Their opinion is that one should only go online in the presence of a shomer or when there is a Pesach Posuach, in which case someone could enter at any moment. The presence of a shomer or having a Pesach Posuach will prevent a person from downloading or viewing forbidden material or visiting a non-kosher website.[390]
I am not going to argue it, I don't question it, because it makes sense. With all the chat sites, porn, and lots of other narishkeit out there these days, being cautious when online is a good thing, a protecting method. Even though many people have met their spouses through the internet, and who am I to judge, but to me it seems just like the relationship Dovid had with Batsheva. It was meant to be, yes, but it didn't have to happen that way. If you are meant to be with that person, than G-d will make it happen. And why would you want the relationship to be tainted, or on a lower level, because it came about in such a way?
I always try not to be hypocritical. And yes, by talking about this, I am being hypocritical. That's not to say that I DO anything, and this is not confession, and you are not my priest, but I know I am not perfect in this department. So why am I talking about this now? Because I think it's something to think about.
This is a good idea, but tachlis, it doesn't always work.
ReplyDeleteRe finding a shidduch online- this is a completely different topic than looking at inappropriate sites. Both should be dealt with- but not in the same post.
you are right but i wasnt sure i had enough to say abt both to split them up. so they are in one post, but 2 issues.
ReplyDeletethe shomer/open door will keep you from porn, but it won't keep you from chatting with the wrong people in gmail or on blogs, unless the shomer is intentionally keeping an eye on you (like the dorm counselors in Chanalia's school).
ReplyDeletemy point exactly. And that is why you must be able to admit when you are doing something wrong, and also why we have mashpias to guide us in the right direction.
ReplyDeleteEverything the good L-rd created in this world he created only for his glory.
ReplyDeletei.e. chabad.org, to the exclusion of everything else.
ReplyDelete(I was joking, but i was also serious. Think about it a bit.)
ReplyDeletei.e. Anything which brings a Jew closer to his or her father in heaven. And I'm not joking.
ReplyDeleteso internet can be good or bad. yay. than why do so many people use it for negative purposes?
ReplyDeletetrs: the question every chassid must ask himself: how am I using the internet? How many jews have i brought closer to their father in heaven and how much other shtuff have you done?
ReplyDeleteAltie: what's the question? People use it for evil because it's more fun to use it for evil.
It's more "fun" to use everything for evil. So what?
ReplyDeleteTRS found his kallah over the net; as long as everything was done b'tznius, that's a fine way to use the internet.
Also, Altie, you're forgetting about sites like Frumster, who intentionally set people up...
e: hey, I got a girl to keep kosher, that's pretty good.
ReplyDeleteAltie: why did G-d create evil?
You got a girl to keep kosher? Huh?
ReplyDeleteAbout six months ago or so I got a google alert that someone had mentioned me, so I moseyed on over to take a look, and it turned out that she had read a farbie that I had posted and resolved to keep kosher even though it was tough.
ReplyDelete